Monday, August 24, 2009

School Shmool

Every time I feel somewhat content in my educational situation, something messes up. Let me explain a bit..

After two and a half years of coursework, I began work on my thesis. Unfortunately, after passing comprehensive exams and drafting three chapters, the project met with unexpected problems with one of my advisers. It turned out that the best option would be to switch to a new departmental "work around" and attempt to graduate through the non-thesis option. In this new option, I would have to take two research seminars--one American history, one European--and additional coursework to be determined by the graduate director. This fall I was scheduled to take the American research seminar and a class on the history of American religion that was handpicked by the director. Unfortunately the latter class failed to make, so I've now shifted back to an unsure position. The director emailed me directly to inform me that it was canceled and that there was no way I could take the class independently, but he failed to mention what alternate course I should take. I emailed him asking him but have yet to hear anything back. Perhaps I'm due for a campus visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment